Helps with athletic performance
- Vitamin D may play a significant role in muscle structure and function.
- Evidence suggests that adequate treatment of vitamin D-deficient athletes may improve their athletic performance.3
- Stress fractures, chronic musculoskeletal pain, viral respiratory tract infractions and several chronic diseases are associated with Vitamin D deficiency.
Helps with bone formation, because of its relations with calcium and phosphorus absorption and maintenance
- Vitamin D functions in the intestine, bone, and kidney to stimulate transport of calcium and phosphorus into the extracellular fluid compartment upon demand.2
- Works to maintain calcium homeostasis for bone health1
- Helps the bone “hold on to” the vitamin D and promotes absorption.
Vitamin D’s Benefits
- Lower levels of vitamin D are associated with higher risks of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease
Other ways to get vitamin D vs just the sun
- UVB Radiation from the sun activates the precursor to Vitamin D, cholecalciferol.
- Fatty Fish, fish liver oils, egg yolks, beef liver, cheese are all good sources of vitamin D
Poached Salmon Eggs Benedict
- 2 4-6-ounce salmon fillets
- 2 Whole Grain English Muffins, toasted
- 2 eggs, poached
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Lemon Wedges and Hollandaise Sauce to Serve
Easy Blender Hollandaise Sauce
- 1 cup melted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, go ahead and make your hollandaise sauce. Combine the eggs, lemon juice and seasonings to your blender and pulse a few times to mix and break up the yolks. Next, in a slow and steady stream, add your hot melted butter while the blender is on medium speed. Once all the butter has been added, taste for seasoning and set aside.
- Now we can prepare our poached salmon fillets. In a shallow sauté pan, heat up a small amount of water (you could substitute any cooking liquid like wine or chicken stock); enough to reach half way up the sides of the pan. Once the water is simmering, add your salmon filets and poached them while covered for about 8 minutes or until they are cooked to medium. Season them with salt and pepper to taste and a squeeze of lemon.
- To assemble your benedict, place the toasted English muffin on a plate, top with some lightly dressed arugula, then your salmon filet, one poached egg and finish everything off with your hollandaise sauce. Enjoy your vitamin D packed meal!
- Caprio, M., Infante, M., Calanchini, M. et al. Eat Weight Disord (2017) 22: 27.
- DeLuca, H. F. (1980), THE CONTROL OF CALCIUM AND PHOSPHORUS METABOLISM BY THE VITAMIN D ENDOCRINE SYSTEM*. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
- Guda T, Labella C, Chan R, Hale R. Quality of bone healing: Perspectives and assessment techniques. Wound Repair & Regeneration[serial online]. May 2, 2014;22:39-49