Food Product Trends
With many people looking to lower their carb intake, whether it be refined carbs or just carbs in general, it’s no surprise that low carb alternatives are on the rise. One of the healthiest alternatives to white flour being used today is almond flour. Almond flour is made from almonds that have been blanched and then ground into a fine consistency1. Not only is the flour much lower in carbohydrates, but it’s also a safe alternative to those who are allergic to gluten. Additionally, it packs in an abundance of vitamins and minerals including vitamin E, iron, magnesium, and calcium. Almond flour can be used in many products such as baked goods, breads, tortillas, and bagels.
Mushroom coffee is exactly what it sounds like; coffee with the addition of mushrooms. Studies have shown that mushrooms have properties that help reduce anxiety and support healthy adrenal function2. Therefore, adding them to coffee may seem beneficial since caffeine is known to promote anxiety for some. Mushroom coffee is made by adding dried matsutake mushrooms that have been boiled and liquefied into an extract into the coffee. The extract is rich in selenium, potassium, vitamin D and niacin. The mushroom infused beverage has been shown to reduce stress, aid in weight loss, help sustain energy, and increase mental focus2. This may be a good option for those who are sensitive to caffeine as it does not cause the jitters that coffee may cause for some. Not only will one be supporting their adrenals with mushroom coffee, but also be getting a nutritional boost they wouldn’t normally get in their morning cup of Joe.
Adaptogens are naturally occurring substances that help the body adapt during natural processes, including digestion and regulating stress levels3. These compounds help to mitigate the stress response and bring one’s hormones of the adrenal system back into balance. Other benefits include boost immunity, support healthy weight management, increase physical endurance, and encourage a balanced mood4. There are several different types of adaptogens including ashwagandha, reishi, and rhodiola, to name a few. Adaptogens can easily be incorporated into one’s diet by adding them to things such as smoothies, tea, and even coffee.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body, specifically type 1 collagen5. It gives our skin strength and elasticity while also replacing dead skin cells. Unfortunately, as we age, our collagen production slows down which causes us to have wrinkles, saggy skin, and joint pain. With that being said, it has been shown that consuming collagen can help counteract some of these effects while bringing along additional benefits such as improving hair, skin and nails, and even helping to heal leaky gut. Some simple ways to up one’s collagen intake is to drink bone broth or add collagen powder to drinks or smoothies.
LED Light Therapy
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, which is a computer chip encased in a glass-like resin, which produces therapeutic wavelengths of light energy6. LED Light Therapy has long been used to repair damaged skin cells and works through the use of wave lengths. When the optimal wave length is provided, the cells in the dermis layer of the skin covert the light into ATP which fuel the cells to be repaired. It also improves circulation throughout the body which further aids in skin repair. Most recently, it has been shown that this type of therapy can be used for other things, most importantly leaky gut. Leaky gut is when the intestinal lining becomes more permeable causing substances to cross the border that shouldn’t. It is becoming more familiar throughout the nutrition world, and is a hard disease to address. Many people who suffer with poor circulation suffer from an impaired gut, making it clear to see how LED Light Therapy could be extremely beneficial. One can go to spas and some dermatologist to receive treatment, or even buy their own LED Light Therapy Machine online and do the treatment themselves.
- What Are the Benefits of Blanched Almond Flour? SF Gate Healthy Eating Website. http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-blanched-almond-flour-2996.html. Accessed May 11th, 2017.
- Is Mushroom Coffee Even Better Than Regular Coffee? Dr. Axe Website. https://draxe.com/mushroom-coffee/. Accessed May 11th, 2017.
- Adaptogenic Herbs: What Are Adaptogens? Global Healing Center Website. http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/what-are-adaptogens/. Accessed May 11th, 2017.
- Sun Potions FAQ. Sun Potions Website. https://www.sunpotion.com/pages/faqs. Accessed May 11th, 2017.
- What is Collagen? Dr. Axe Website. https://draxe.com/what-is-collagen/. Accessed May 11th, 2017.
- Exactly What LED Light Therapy Is And Why It’s Good For Your Skin. Huffington Post Website. http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/05/12/exactly-what-led-light-therapy-is-and-why-its-good-for-your-ski/. Accessed May 11th, 2017.
- Far Infrared Treatment for Leaky Gut. Get Fitt Website. http://www.get-fitt.com/Blog/far-infrared-treatment-for-leaky-gut.htm. Accessed March 11th, 2017.