Shopping in Season: March
This month, lots of yummy fruits and vegetables of all colors are fresh and in season, here in Florida. In the grocery stores, look for local1:
- Bell peppers
- Sweet corn
The perfect way to enjoy this seasonal produce is a strawberry salad! Combining bright and crisp veggies with a touch of sweetness from delectable fruit, you can create a healthy and beautiful meal to enjoy with the warming temperatures. This recipe is from the Gimme Some Oven blog2, and features spinach and strawberries. Feel free to add your own yummy ingredients!
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced (or you can double this to 2 avocados!)
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- half a small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 batch poppy seed dressing (recipe below)
POPPYSEED DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or any oil, such as olive oil)
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- pinch of ground dry mustard (optional)
- salt and pepper
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Toss all ingredients together with your desired amount of dressing until combined. Serve immediately.
TO MAKE THE POPPYSEED DRESSING:
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, or more to taste.
- What’s in Season Now? March. Fresh from Florida. https://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/16795/269924/03March.pdf. Accessed February 12, 2018.
- Martin, A. Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing. https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/avocado-strawberry-spinach-salad-with-poppyseed-dressing/. Published April 26, 2017. Accessed February 12, 2018.